Tuesday, May 11, 2010

More Than Fine In Foard County

What a day!  What Fun!  When are you coming to Foard County?  Bragging once again, but what a beautiful ride down to Crowell on May 5, 2010.  Heading South out of Quanah on Highway 6, what did I find?  Bluebonnets and many gorgeous wild flowers decorating the roads. I've said this before, but when I drive into Hardeman, Foard, and Cottle County, something in my bones tells me that's where I belong.  Many of my ancestors are buried in those places.  My Grandfather Guy Easley and his family had a ranch west of Crowell, and I own a share of mineral rights.  (Not sure which minerals.)   Anyway, a special mood overtakes me when I start thinking about the land and how it once was.  
At our 18th Stamp Cancellation in Crowell (Who else can boast of being the Wild Hog Capital of the World?), the precious girls from the Three Rivers Foundation really made it special with a reception at the Post Office.  We left to enjoy a great burger, visit the 3RF Office....then made our way out to Copper Breaks State Park where Holle Humphries, Dolores Mosser, and I were awed by the flowers, Longhorns, lake, and natural beauty of the park.  Carl Hopper took us to get up close and personal with the Longhorns.  (See pictures to understand just HOW close.)  As the hour was getting late....and the road no shorter back home, we had to cut our trip short.  I did get to stop by the Rusty Relics Shop in Quanah for a purchase of some cute flowers.  They are the only kind I can grow anymore.  FAKE!  Crowell is such a truly cute place.  With the State Park, the Three Rivers Foundation Observatory, Star Walks, Fire Hall Station Museum, and Trail Rides--it's a town that surely shows its pride in place proving that, "Small Towns Don't Have to Die."  Visit soon, won't ya?  Deborah Sue McDonald, Texas Plains Trail Executive Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plains

Plains

Tales from the Plains Trail Region

My photo
Borger, Texas Plains Trail Region, United States
Striving to inspire others to travel the rugged-beauty of the Texas Plains Trail Region where the grass is greener, the people are friendlier, and the sky is blue. Wow! A great place to live is a great place to visit. C'mon visit the "Texas You Will Remember."

Followers