Monday, February 22, 2010

Chillin' in Childress

I love Childress.  It's one of those towns that every time I go visit my sister in Ft. Worth, I HAVE to stop.  Those cute little stores demand the slam on the brake just to see what's new. Plus I'm not sure I've ever gone through without stopping at the Childress Bakery.  To those of you who just barely slow down to get through Childress, you would do yourself a great favor by getting off ol' 287 and taking a cruise around Childress.  Their downtown area has beautiful murals and historic buildings. And....you just have to check out Childress's Fair Park where many yearly events take place. I didn't have the opportunity to snoop around in the Childress County Heritage Museum....it's on my "next time" list.  While visiting there for the County Stamp Cancellation, we had the honor of speaking to a large crowd of 7th and 4th graders.  Thanks so much to Janet Word, Elementary Principal for taking the time to show us the television studio and a tour around the school.  As a former educator I can say that Childress Elementary "has it going on." Lucky students. Lucky community.   Promise to stop?   Hope so.  You'll be glad you did.  Happy Trails, Deborah Sue  Find out more about Childress, Childress CountyVisit their website here.
February 17, 2010 In Childress--Excerpt from Rick Vanderpool's Journal






No comments:

Post a Comment

Plains

Plains

Tales from the Plains Trail Region

My photo
Borger, Texas Plains Trail Region, United States
Striving to inspire others to travel the rugged-beauty of the Texas Plains Trail Region where the grass is greener, the people are friendlier, and the sky is blue. Wow! A great place to live is a great place to visit. C'mon visit the "Texas You Will Remember."

Followers